Well, if you're not interested in graphic content, maybe skip to the end.
On Wednesday, I woke up with my underwear soaked in blood. Naturally, we were concerned. I actually had my babysitting baby already at my door step, so I kind of had to work. Anyway, I called Jared and he rushed home. He helped me with the sitter kid and I was able to rest. During this time, we both had no idea what to do. I don't have an OB yet so I couldn't call him, I have no insurance, and I didn't want to wait in an ER if I didn't need to. Well, we got council from the dula I'm planning to hire, and went to a women's hospital with an emergency triage. We saw the doctor and she told us she was concerned about a few things: one, placenta previa which is a condition where the placenta has attached low in the uterus. It usually corrects it's self but needs to be monitored. Second, miscarriage or my body attempting to miscarry. Third, a compromised cervix which would mean sewing my cervix closed and bed rest until delivery. Third was blood clots. And fourth was nothing. Just a freak passing of blood. Most situations were tolerable with the right interventions.
The first procedure they did was an initial ultra sound. Was the baby still there? And WHEW! The baby was! She couldn't get a good read of the placenta so she ordered an inter-vaginal read as well. She checked my cervix for bleeding and compromise and her initial check came bac negative.
I was taken to ultra sound and we sighed a huge sigh of relief when we saw the baby move and that the heartbeat was strong (160bpm)! My placenta was attached and in a high position. And as far as the tech could tell, my cervix was tight.
Then, we waited. And waited. And waited! We waited three hours for the radiology department to read the scans. Then, we had news. I have a blood clot between my placenta and uterus. Sub chorionic hematoma. A few things to consider with the blood clot. One, I have an increased risk of premature birth or miscairrage. Two, it could get bigger. It could get smaller. It could stay the same. It could disappear. If it get's smaller or stays the same, we monitor. If it get's bigger I'll probably go on be rest. And I'll have a c section early. Three, it goes away and all is well.
We went home slightly relieved, and slightly worried. The biggest relief was seeing our baby. The baby has a heart beat. The baby is healthy. I just have to keep myself that way. I had a blessing and Jared was so sweet.. He's been nothing but hopeful and kind.
I'm just being patient for May.